THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING
NEW! Adoption Hours
Please note the adoption process will take around 30 minutes. Be sure to arrive at least an hour prior to closing so we have time to assist you. All adoptions are facilitated on a first come, first served basis.
How To Adopt
Come see us at 430 Waller Mill Road, Williamsburg, VA and visit with one of our wonderful pets waiting for their forever home! Fill out an Adoption Application. (Not all adoptions can be processed the same day, but we can work with you to determine an appointment time.)
Complete the adoption process during your scheduled time and pay your adoption fees. Leave with your new best friend. Click here for adoption fees and what’s all included>
Before You Adopt:
Adopting a pet can be a great experience for you and your family. A new pet can instantly warm your heart as they join your family. A new pet can also be a challenge if you have not considered all the factors before you adopt. Before you make the decision, be sure to think about this:
- Can you afford a Pet?
It is important to consider this question before you adopt. Your pet will be with you for years to come, so you should make sure you are adopting for the right reasons. Are you prepared to spend $400 to $700 a year on food, medical care, training classes, toys and more?
- Do You Have Time for a Pet?
Taking care of a pet can be time-consuming. Pets require food, water, exercise, care and companionship every day.
- Does Your Housing Allow Pets?
Many apartments and other rental communities have restrictions or don’t allow pets at all. Check with them before you visit us.
- Are You Ready to Take Care of the Pet for It’s Entire Life?
When you chose to adopt a pet, you are committing yourself to the pet for the rest of their lives. Taking care of a pet requires a responsible owner.
A pet needs constant love and attention, just as humans do. That said, adopting a pet can be a very rewarding experience when you and your pet create a true, loving bond that will last a lifetime.
All adoption applicants must be at least 21 years old and provide a valid driver’s license.
- Animals presently in the adopters home must be spayed and/or neutered and current on all vaccinations.
- Renters will be required to provide contact name and phone number of landlord upon completion of the adoption application.
HHS will contact landlord to verify pet policy and payment of pet deposit prior to adoption.
- When feasible potential adopters are required to bring family members and household pets in for a meet and greet.
- It is very important that the entire family is accepting of the new animal.
- Heritage Humane Society recommends that cats be kept indoors for their safety.
- Virginia law requires that you provide adequate shelter, veterinary care and daily food and water for a domestic animal. It also states that all cats and dogs released from adoption agencies must be spayed/neutered.
The Heritage Humane Society provides the best possible care to all of our furry guests while in our care. Your adoption fees help cover costs necessary to keep each animal healthy while in our care. We accept cash, American Express, Discover, MasterCard & Visa. We do not accept checks.
Each Adoption Fee Includes:
Heritage Humane Society provides all of the following services to your new pet prior to your adoption:
- Initial vaccines (excluding rabies vaccine)
- Mandatory Spay/Neuter (*see note about kittens above)
- Flea & Tick protection while at HHS
- Microchip, as appropriate
- Heartworm or FIV/FeLV testing
- Heartworm Preventative while at HHS (Dogs)
- Temperament Testing (Dogs)
Picking Up Your Pet
Heritage Humane Society reserves the right to decline any adoption application.
You will need your own carrier for cats/kittens and collar and leash for dogs/puppies. Feel free to shop in our boutique at the shelter for Lupine collars and leashes that are guaranteed for life!
Please Note: Heritage Humane Society reserves the right to do a home check – either before or after the adoption has taken place – at the management’s discretion.
*VIRGINIA LAW REQUIRES ALL SHELTER ANIMALS MUST BE EITHER SPAYED OR NEUTERED BEFORE LEAVING ANIMAL SHELTERS. THE SOCIETY OFFERS A LOW COST SPAY/NEUTER PROGRAM DURING THE TIME OF ADOPTION.